This year’s Beethoven Senior Intercollegiate Piano Competition will take place on Sunday, 9 December 2018, 1pm at Whitgift School, Haling Park, South Croydon, CR2 6YT
1) Bagatelle in B flat, Op.119 No.11 WITH REPEATS
2) Any complete Beethoven piano sonata (excluding Op.49, Nos.1 & 2 & Op.106 ‘Hammerklavier‘). As an alternative to a sonata, pianists may perform Variations and Fugue in E flat Major Op.35, ‘Eroica Variations‘.
1. Exposition repeats in first movements in normal sonata form SHOULD NOT be observed, except in Op.78 and Op.79. Repeats of development and recapitulation, where present, should also be omitted.
2. Exposition repeats in other movements in sonata form should be omitted. An exception is the Op.10 No.2 finale, where the first repeat should be observed but not the second.
3. The large repeats in the second sections of Op.54 and Op.57 finales should be omitted.
4. Normal repeats in second movements, slow movements, minuet/scherzo and trios movements and Variations should be observed.
Practice rooms will be available throughout the day.
The whole competition is expected to finish by 8pm (including prize announcements), depending on the number of candidates.
The First-Prizewinner will be invited to take part in the BPSE Competition-winners’ Recitals series.
All candidates will receive a year’s complimentary membership of the Society.
We would like to express our deep gratitude to Whitgift School for hosting us.