This year’s Beethoven Senior Intercollegiate Piano Competition will take place on Sunday, 8 December 2019 at City Literary Institute (City Lit), 1-10 Keeley Street, London, WC2B 4BA.
- Bagatelle in A minor, WoO59 ‘Für Elise’ WITH REPEATS
- Any complete Beethoven piano sonata (excluding Op.49, Nos.1 & 2 & Op.106 ‘Hammerklavier‘). As an alternative to a sonata, pianists may perform Variations and Fugue in E flat Major Op.35, ‘Eroica Variations‘.
- Exposition repeats in first movements in normal sonata form SHOULD NOT be observed, except in Op.78 and Op.79.
- Repeats of development and recapitulation, where present, should also be omitted.
- Exposition repeats in other movements in sonata form should be omitted. An exception is the Op.10 No.2 finale, where the first repeat should be observed but not the second.
- The large repeats in the second sections of Op.54 and Op.57 finales should be omitted.
- Normal repeats in second movements, slow movements, minuet/scherzo and trios movements and Variations should be observed.
The First-Prizewinner will be invited to take part in the BPSE Competition-winners’ Recitals series. Prizewinners will receive a cash prize and a year’s complimentary membership of the Society (until 31st March 2021).