This year’s Beethoven Junior Intercollegiate Piano Competition will take place on Sunday, 15 March 2020 at The Great Hall, University College School, Frognal, Hapmstead, London NW3 6XH).
Please note: the full programme, start & end time of the competition will be announced a week before the competition date when all pianists have submitted their choice of sonata.
- A compulsory bagatelle Op.126 no.2 in G minor with repeats.
- Any complete Beethoven piano sonata (excluding , Nos.1 & 2 & “Hammerklavier”). As an alternative to a sonata, pianists may perform Variations in F Major C Minor.
- Exposition repeats in first movements in normal sonata form should not be observed.
- Repeats of development and recapitulation, where present, should also be omitted.
- Exposition repeats in other movements in sonata form should be omitted. An exception is the Op.10 No.2 finale, where the first repeat should be observed but not the second.
- The large repeats in the second sections of Op.54 and Op.57 finales should be omitted.
- Normal repeats in second movements, slow movements, minuet/scherzo and trios movements and Variations should be observed.
Prizes include a recital at St Barnabas Millennium Hall, London. Prizewinners will receive a cash prize and a year’s complimentary membership of the Society (until 31st March 2021).