This year’s Beethoven Junior Intercollegiate Piano Competition will take place on Sunday, 15 March 2020, 2pm at The Great Hall, University College School, Frognal, Hampstead, London (NW3 6XH).
Julian Jacobson (BPSE Chair
- A compulsory bagatelle Op.126 no.2 in G minor with repeats.
- Any complete Beethoven piano sonata (excluding , Nos.1 & 2 & “Hammerklavier”). As an alternative to a sonata, pianists may perform Variations in F Major C Minor.
- Exposition repeats in first movements in normal sonata form should not be observed.
- Repeats of development and recapitulation, where present, should also be omitted.
- Exposition repeats in other movements in sonata form should be omitted. An exception is the Op.10 No.2 finale, where the first repeat should be observed but not the second.
- The large repeats in the second sections of Op.54 and Op.57 finales should be omitted.
- Normal repeats in second movements, slow movements, minuet/scherzo and trios movements and Variations should be observed.
Prizes include a recital at St Barnabas Millennium Hall, London. Prizewinners will receive a cash prize and a year’s complimentary membership of the Society (until 31st March 2021).