The 28th Beethoven Senior Intercollegiate Piano Competition is dedicated to the memory of BPSE Honorary Member and former Membership Secretary Henry Atterbury.
13 June 2021, 1pm-6pm
(Doors open at 12:45pm)
Radley College, Abingdon, Oxfordshire (OX14 2HR)
Paul Lewis, Patrick Hemmerle, Karl Lutchmayer (BPSE Committee Member)
- Bagatelle Op.126 No.4 in B minor (with repeats)
- Any complete Beethoven piano sonata (excluding Op.49, Nos.1 & 2 & Op.106 ‘Hammerklavier‘). As an alternative to a sonata, pianists may perform Variations and Fugue in E flat Major Op.35, ‘Eroica Variations‘.
- Exposition repeats in first movements in normal sonata form SHOULD NOT be observed, except in Op.78 and Op.79.
- Repeats of development and recapitulation, where present, should also be omitted.
- Exposition repeats in other movements in sonata form should be omitted. An exception is the Op.10 No.2 finale, where the first repeat should be observed but not the second.
- The large repeats in the second sections of Op.54 and Op.57 finales should be omitted.
- Normal repeats in second movements, slow movements, minuet/scherzo and trios movements and Variations should be observed.
The First Prizewinner will be invited to take part in the BPSE Competition-winners’ Recitals series. Prizewinners will receive a cash prize and a year’s complimentary membership of the Society (until 31st March 2022).