Update: Given the current difficulties and risks for participants’ travel across the country as well as mixing, the Society has decided to postpone this year’s competition from December 2020 to February 2021.
The 28th Beethoven Senior Intercollegiate Piano Competition is dedicated to the memory of BPSE Honorary Member and former Membership Secretary Henry Atterbury.
Sunday, 7 February 2021
Radley College, Abingdon, Oxfordshire (OX14 2HR)
to be announced
- Bagatelle Op.126 No.4 in B minor (with repeats)
- Any complete Beethoven piano sonata (excluding Op.49, Nos.1 & 2 & Op.106 ‘Hammerklavier‘). As an alternative to a sonata, pianists may perform Variations and Fugue in E flat Major Op.35, ‘Eroica Variations‘.
- Exposition repeats in first movements in normal sonata form SHOULD NOT be observed, except in Op.78 and Op.79.
- Repeats of development and recapitulation, where present, should also be omitted.
- Exposition repeats in other movements in sonata form should be omitted. An exception is the Op.10 No.2 finale, where the first repeat should be observed but not the second.
- The large repeats in the second sections of Op.54 and Op.57 finales should be omitted.
- Normal repeats in second movements, slow movements, minuet/scherzo and trios movements and Variations should be observed.
The First Prizewinner will be invited to take part in the BPSE Competition-winners’ Recitals series. Prizewinners will receive a cash prize and a year’s complimentary membership of the Society (until 31st March 2022).
We would like to express our deep gratitude to Radley College for hosting the 28th BPSE Senior Intercollegiate Piano Competition and 22nd BPSE Junior Intercollegiate Piano Competition.